Re: Help with sonames for Staden's io_lib package.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 01:47:42PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear James and Andreas,
>
> I was still unsure on the versionning scheme, so I decided to upload a package
> called libstaden-read0 because with the libtoolisation patch I applied, the
> soname version is 0.0.0. This leaves room for uploading new packages with name
> libstaden-read1 or libstaden-read-1.11, once I can figure out how to instruct
> the build system to do the right thing. Can sonames have a decimal part, like
> libstaden-read.so.1.11?

I'm unsure if sonames can have decimal points, but I think it would be
confusing to have an soname of libstaden-read.so.0 when the library
version is clearly 1.x.

I'd be happy with an .so.1 suffix and will make sure that changes are
backwards compatible (it's been true 99% of the time through the
libraries history, but most likely I've slipped up now and then).

	  - - -

On a related note, you'll be pleased to hear I've taken the next step
on the road of making the entire package more portable. I'm now using
autoconf (but not automake or libtool) to generate a system.mk
makefile stubg (and staden-config.h) containing the various components
needed to compile the package. This replaces the clunky
"include $(MACHINE).mk" mechanism in the past.

The best thing from my viewpoint too is that due to a dependency on
linking Tcl/Tk I'm now using Tcl's own autoconf mechanisms for working
out how to build dynamic libraries. This completely avoids the
atrocity known as libtool. :-)

The downside is that I now have dependencies on Tcl/Tk 8.5. This was
forced due to total lack of support for incrTcl (eg v3.3 has been in
CVS for years and never formally released) and especially
incrWidgets. I've been gradually rewriting code that uses them, but
that was far easier within Tk 8.5 which has many standard replacements
for them (eg tabbed notebooks, combowidgets, etc).

I am not sure yet though whether I have the time to do this for the
entire package. At present I'm concentrating most on the assembly
tools (pregap4, gap4, gap5). I know that "spin" still has a major
dependency on incr-tcl/tk that will take substantial efforts to
remove.

Do the Debian itcl, itk and incrWidgets packages strictly depend on
Tcl8.4 or also work with newer versions (eg 8.5 - released in 2007)?

James

--
James Bonfield (jkb@sanger.ac.uk) | Hora aderat briligi. Nunc et Slythia Tova
                                  | Plurima gyrabant gymbolitare vabo;
  A Staden Package developer:     | Et Borogovorum mimzebant undique formae,
https://sf.net/projects/staden/   | Momiferique omnes exgrabure Rathi.