RFC: packaging layout for Odin (was: Re: Status of ODIN, VISTA and friends)

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:32:42 +0100, David Paleino wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:39:38 +0100, Michael Hanke wrote:
>
> > [..]
> > On a related issue there is also still unpackaged ODIN [2]. There had
> > been an RFP [3] and some activity by David, but the current status is
> > not clear to me. I had a quick look at it today and it looks like an
> > easy target. It would definitely be worth to packaging it -- anyone
> > working on that one?
>
> Just FYI, I've started working to package ODIN.

Ok, now with some real issues.

ODIN provides a quantity of libraries, development headers, documentation and
binaries, which I'm trying to split in proper Debian packages.

In /usr/lib/ we can find:

$ ls -1 *.so
libodindata.so
libodinpara.so
libodinqt.so
libodinseq.so
libtjutils.so
$

Those libraries carry their own include headers as well:

$ ls -1d ../include/*
../include/odindata
../include/odinpara
../include/odinqt
../include/odinseq
../include/tjutils
$

It seems like I should create these packages:

libodindata1, libodindata-dev, libodindata1-dbg
libodinpara1, libodinpara-dev, libodinpara1-dbg
libodinqt1, libodinqt-dev, libodinqt1-dbg
libodinseq1, libodinseq-dev, libodinseq1-dbg
libtjutils1, libtjutils-dev, libtjutils1-dbg

(only the libraries, they sum up to 15 packages -- and yes, the -dbg ones are
IMHO needed, we don't want our non-developer-users to recompile stuff on their
own, right?)

Then we have:

$ ls ../bin/
gencoil      gensample  micalc  miview  odinreco       pulsar
genmakefile  geoedit    miconv  odin    odintestsuite  swab
$

These might go into a single "odin" package, if you agree.

Then there is /usr/share/doc/odin/:

$ tree
.
`-- doc
    `-- odin
        |-- coils
        |   |-- Array8Channel.coi
        |   `-- radialInhomogen.coi
        |-- samples
        |   |-- brain_128x128.smp
        |   |-- disk_128x128.smp
        |   |-- frequency_dist.smp
        |   |-- point_spread_function.smp
        |   `-- qualityPhantom_128x128.smp
        `-- sequences
            |-- odinepi.cpp
            |-- odinfisp.cpp
            |-- odingrech.cpp
            |-- odinmdeft.cpp
            |-- odinonep.cpp
            |-- odinpilot.cpp
            |-- odinquant.cpp
            |-- odinrare.cpp
            |-- odinrefg.cpp
            |-- odinspir.cpp
            |-- odinswi.cpp
            |-- tj_bgmes.cpp
            |-- tj_messer.cpp
            `-- tj_verve.cpp
$

It's a total of 1,6M, so we can decide to have an extra single "odin-doc"
package (I thought at odin-samples, odin-coils and odin-sequences, but those
are just examples, so IMHO not worth having their own separated packages)

Total: 17 packages from a single source. Now, this isn't really a problem, but
the problem arises whether or not those libraries are intended for "public
use", or they are internal to odin. If they are just internal, I could make a
libodin1 package, adding proper lintian overrides, and put them into a
subdirectory of /usr/lib/ (/u/l/odin/ would be best). Also, it is possible that
they all are internal but libtjutils -- in this case I'd do libodin1 and
libtjutils1.

Obviously, I'm compiling it without libvista support -- but we'd still have a
rather useful package in the repositories, and we can always recompile it and
upload a new revision, when vista will be ready (-- if ever).

Time, CPU cycles and heating permitting, I will try to recompile everything and
make those 17 packages.

Kindly,
David

--