Re: Re: Automake help with libGenome

Hello friends of debian-med,

As you know, I am the author of several Mauve-related packages including libGenome which is under discussion in this thread...

Is it a substantive problem that the library version appears twice in the .so name, or is it more of a cosmetic issue?

The original reason behind specifying:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libGenome-1.3.la

in Makefile.am instead of the expected:
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libGenome.la

was because of how automake names the resulting static libraries. If the latter incantation is used, the resulting static library is named simply "libGenome.la" and installs as libGenome.la without any versioning information. Thus it becomes impossible to have parallel installs of versioned static libraries to match a parallel install of versioned shared libraries. I do not know whether this is simply an oversight in the design of automake/libtool or whether it was an intentional omission. In any case, I often require static libraries to build static binaries of Mauve since the target audience cannot be expected to build and install shared libs.
I agree that repeated version numbers are not pretty, and if there's a more elegant solution to the static library versioning issue I would very much like to know about it!

-Aaron