Re: Mate config questions.

Hi,

On  Fr 01 Mär 2019 20:12:36 CET, Robert Heller wrote:

I set up Mate under Ubuntu 18.04 and I have some config questions.

1) I want to disable the graphical file manager -- I have no use for it and it
just clutters my screen with lots of file icons (and binds itself to my
pointer, preventing me from accessing root window bindings for my window
manager (fvwm)). As a temp fix, I renamed the file manager executable in
/usr/bin, but that will be undone the next time apt-get dist-upgrade installs
a updated version of the graphical file manager. Under Gnome 2 the "trick" is
to use gconf-editor to edit the required_components under session under gnome
under desktop (setting the File Manager property to "/bin/true"). This does
not work for Mate. What is the trick for Mate?

I don't really have a clue about this one.

Do you launch mate-session together with fvwm? This feels doubled. You should only use one X11 session manager.

I guess, this will end up in code reading of github.com/mate-desktop/mate-session to figure out why your /bin/true hack is not working anymore.

I use MATE components on the i3 desktop quite regularly, and there, Caja (the file browser) only appears as a file browser when launched. The desktop root window is managed by i3. My suspicion is that you should avoid mate-session from being launched at session startup.

Asking the other way around. What components of MATE do you want to use?

2) I won't be using Mate's system menu.  Instead I will be using my own menu
system.  I would like to gain access to the Logout and Shutdown dialogs from
the session manager (mate-session?).  With Gnome 2, this is doable with dbus
messages:

dbus-send --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.Logout "uint32:0" dbus-send --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.Shutdown

What is the corresponding "magic" for Mate?

If you use mate-session as X11 session manager, you can use mate-session-save (see its man page for details) to let the logout/shutdown dialogs pop up.

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31