Re: bullseye / libgdbm6:amd64 is a catastrophgy

Hello Marc,

On 25/08/2023 11:24, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
AFAIK is bullseye not yet LTS-handled.

Will LTS fixes important bugs, or only security fixes?

I reported this:

I have a local work-around (keep the buster version), and the maintainer also
proposed another local work-around. Mine is running productively for a few
weeks now.

Will LTS, when it takes hold of bullseye, fix this important bug?

First, from your bug report I read the maintainer's answer:
"[...] you upgraded to oldstable, which will only receive security fixes."

Actually, bullseye (even as oldstable) may receive updates for important bugs, through the point releases (proposed-updates):
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases/PointReleases

LTS may also fix non-security bugs, but since it currently doesn't have point releases, this is rarer.

Now the maintainer worries that the bug fix "could break other installations that used to work well".

We tend to trust the maintainer's informed opinion, so we'd probably follow his advice and refrain from fixing the bug. Of course it's possible to continue the discussion with the maintainer (e.g. with comprehensive testing).

In conclusion, I believe there's a higher chance of fixing the bug right now in bullseye/oldstable, rather later in bullseye/LTS.

Cheers!
Sylvain Beucler
Debian LTS Team