Re: nvidia-graphics-drivers in DLA needed?

Hi,

LTS does support a few non-free packages following sponsors requests, such as 'firmware-nonfree' or 'unrar-nonfree'.

Also, the list of supported packages is currently built from curated lists of installed packages provided from the sponsors. One limitation is that the list needs to be refreshed and I believe Freexian is currently asking sponsors to provide up-to-date lists of packages. Another limitation is that some related packages are implicitly supported, see for instance Markus' ELTS work 'extra-packages-to-support' about embedded package (private repo).

Consequently it looks like nvidia-graphics-drivers and nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-390xx can be fixed through LTS as related packages (as explained by Markus below), though maybe not with high priority. They probably shouldn't be explicitly referenced in packages-to-support since there's no direct/paid sponsorship on them. nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-340xx (not 390xx) can't be fixed because it isn't supported upstream anymore, we can keep <ignore>-ing its CVEs.

@Ola I'm not sure what documentation you're referring to that point you to a different conclusion. Typically I don't think we forbid non-free uploads, but users shouldn't expect us to support them either (as in stable).

I realize that this makes nvidia triaging dependent on the LTS contributors' collective memory and personal initiative, so maybe this should be more formally decided and documented. I personally don't particularly wish to involve myself with non-free packages. Maybe you can coordinate with Markus and/or open a ticket to make sure this clarification happen?

Cheers!
Sylvain Beucler
Debian LTS Team