Change in libcrypt1 prevents upgrades from Buster to Bookworm

Hello!

Are LTS folks aware about the change in libcrypt1 where tt was split
out of libc into a separate package?

Perl needs /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypt.so.1 to run, and when it
gets removed Perl immediately stops working, and thus no dpkg command
will proceed anymore [1].

As it breaks dpkg, it affects to my understanding *all* upgrades from
Stretch to Bookworm, and some upgrades from Bullseye to Bookworm
too[2] on packages I maintain.

This makes LTS kind of moot, as systems that want to stay on LTS and
"skip" at least one release can no longer do so. What is your take
here? If the issue is not fixed, then at least LTS should document it
well for LTS users?

- Otto

(I am not on list, please use reply-to-all)

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=993755
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/galera-4/-/pipelines/300049