Re: Unsupported packages for Wheezy LTS

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 09:11:17PM +0200, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 02:10:48PM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> > > No, I recommend to EOL src:qemu/qemu-kvm in wheezy (the bits relevant to src:xen are
> > > somewhat isolated and can be backported from the Xen Security announcements)
> > > Backporting jessie's qemu will end up in a similar situation as the experiments
> > > with libav.
> >
> > I don't think so. We already have the version of Jessie in Wheezy
> > backports and I've looked into the dependency list. See
> >
> >     https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/2016/04/msg00002.html
> >
> > so this should be doable…
>
> But what would be the point of that? Upgrading a virtualisation server to
> a new qemu effectively requires the same amount of testing/downtime of the
> operation side as upgrading that system to jessie.

The server might not be a dedicated virtualization server but be running
services that aren't easily upgraded as well.

> Except that you would now run your system on a mostly untested combination of vintage
> 2.6.32 Linux, old libvirt and modern qemu compared to the jessie stack which is
> extensively tested through a full freeze. And you'd still need to upgrade to
> jessie later.

The above proposal would update libvirt as well (and I've tested this
setup quiet a bit - not comparable to a freeze though).

That said I wrote earlier that I do agree that it would be better to
drop QEMU/KVM if nobody is in favour up updating and supporting it.

Cheers,
 -- Guido