Re: Unsupported packages for Wheezy LTS

On 2016-05-12 10:00:24, Guido Günther wrote:
>> qemu and qemu-kvm were triaged as unsupported for CVE-2016-3712, but I
>> think Guido is studying how to support virtualisation related packages,
>> and maybe we should wait for his evaluation.
>
> I had zero feedback on supporting qemu so I'd propose to drop it. We can
> keep libvirt in the current version if we don't update qemu and it seems
> to be in use in Wheezy quiet a bit (and dropping it would kill of quiet
> some programs due to the dependency chain) so I'd propose to keep it.

Regarding qemu, keep in mind it's an integral part of Xen, specifically
the HVM bits, if i'm not mistaken.

So dropping qemu support there means dropping *parts* of the Xen support
as well.

I must say I'd be glad to do that because backporting those bits in xen
was specially painful, but it might give users a false sense of security
to say that Xen is supported, but only partially. The frontier there is
not always clear to me.

I would rather see qemu supported, in other words. But the version in
wheezy is really old, and in xen/wheezy even more so.

a.
--
I'm sorry if any of you are catholic. I'm not sorry if you're
offended, I'm actually just sorry by the fact that you're catholic