Re: Questions regarding lsb-invalid-mta

Some background on lsb-invalid-mta:

This package came out of discussions between some Ubuntu developers and some LSB developers (including me). Basically, Ubuntu wanted to be able to ship systems that did not include a MTA, and saw the MTA requirement in the LSB as not useful. We disagreed (based on feedback from software developers).

The lsb-invalid-mta was the closest we could get to a compromise. Having the sendmail binary just disappear could cause scripts expecting it to fail in unexpected ways. OTOH, the sendmail binary has documented error settings, and returning an error is a valid response.

It would seem that the package made its way into Debian in our effort to harmonize the Debian and Ubuntu LSB packages.

I agree with you that the proper thing to do here is to provide a proper MTA when installing the "lsb" package. Perhaps we should not build "lsb-invalid-mta" in Debian as part of the "lsb" package, while perhaps allowing it to be built on Ubuntu.