Re: Debian Live Build - kernel panic ([ .1.544318]initramfs unpacking failed) If Ram Is Less Than 1GB

Hello Sakkra Billa,

On 21/08/2023 16:59, Sakkra Billa wrote:
I have made a custom debian iso for old hardware (including both 32 Bit and 64-bit versions). Due to the latest Debian release I decided to port it to Debian 12 Bookworm rather than Bullseye. I have been using live_build for compiling the iso, it worked perfectly for bullseye but for debian 12 it causes kernel panic if i assign ram less than 1gb. The distro on its own does not take more than 200mb of ram, I even tried making a netinst iso using live_build but still the same issue. After installation(using more than 1gb of ram) i can reduce ram allocation upto 512mb with no issues but the installer doesn't work with less than 1gb of ram.

The following are my lb config settings:

lb config -d bookworm --debian-installer live --debian-installer-distribution bookworm --debian-installer-gui false --archive-areas "main contrib non-free non-free-firmware" --debootstrap-options "--variant=minbase"

Please guide me if I am doing something wrong.

I've tried your 'lb config' line, and am able to create an ISO that can be booted in BIOS and UEFI secure boot mode with 768MB memory allocated.
I'm booting into the live environment without issues.
I also tried the installer in BIOS mode, and (after reporting that it enters low-memory mode) it was able to run until the partition step, then I aborted the installer.

I'm therefore not able to reproduce your case.

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus