USB Persistency

The instructions on wiki.flimzy.com include a program called 'moo' that
you could possibly run in a cronjob.  The trick there is that after
every 7th backup, a reboot is necessary (Because it mounts the
newly-created backup image as an additional branch in the unionfs, and
only 8 loopback devices can be mounted at a time).

If you don't mind an automatic reboot, you might be able to do something
like this in a crontab:

1 1 * * * /usr/local/bin/moo
10 1 1 * * shutdown -r now

That ought to do a snapshot every night, and reboot once a week.

This method would likely need some fine-tuning.  If you come up with a
useable solution using my method on wiki.flimzy.com, please let me know
so I can add them to my wiki--or create an account no my wiki and add
your changes there yourself :)

--
Jonathan