Re: increasing default lintian verbosity?

On 2012-01-22 07:02, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>
>> [...]
>
> I care most about all of the regular Debian developers, who still do most
> of the package uploads and maintain the critical packages, continuing to
> use Lintian, so that Lintian can stay as effective as it is now at getting
> people to make archive-wide changes.  One of the places Lintian helps the
> project the most is that it can do things like start warning about not
> having build-arch and build-indep rules and have significant portions of
> the archive just get fixed without having to do anything more
> comprehensive or difficult.  This only works if we can get nearly everyone
> uploading packages to run Lintian all the time.
>
> [...]

On a related note, I plotted (part of) the data[1] we got on
debian-rules-missing-recommended-target tag[2].  The huge increase of
affected
packages in the start can most likely be attributed to this full-run[3].

The second "spike" (around 11/12/01) could be due to reporting now
handling multiple versions of the same source packages, but I did not
confirm this guess.

~Niels

[1]
http://people.debian.org/~nthykier/rg-build-arch-target/affected-packages-graphs.png

Using timestamp as x and package count (last column) as y axis.

[2]
/srv/lintian.debian.org/history/tags/debian-rules-missing-recommended-target.dat

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-lint-maint/2012/01/msg00034.html