Re: Lintian warnings/errors

* Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> [2006-02-09 07:21]:
> > exec jumpnbump-menu $@
>
> The general rule for sh scripts is "always quote stuff", so the above
> line should read
>
> exec jumpnbump-menu "$@"
>
> This makes a difference when one of the arguments contains a space,
> the special "$@" magic (as opposed to "$*") expands these arguments
> correctly.
> Oh, btw, please use less weird filenames. ~ and ' shouldn't be part of
> regular filenames when avoidable

These files are supplied with the upstream package. As for the quoting, I agree
with you but it doesn't make any difference in that case because there won't be
any arguments to the script any way (don't know why upstream uses $@ then).
The quoting, however, cannot be the cause of the lintian error since there are
dozens of other such files that only differ in the program that's being called.

Likewise with the filenames, the names are indeed weird but underly a special
naming scheme that is used by the menu system of the program. The ~ are field
seperators and must therefore be some weird character not used in any filename
or menu description. All the other menu files contain those ~, too, so I don't
expect this to be the cause of the problem either.
The ' are part of the menu entry title that will appear in the actual menu. I
could probably change that but these files are actually not made by me so it
would be - in my eyes unneccessary - change to the upstream sources. Since the
filesystem does allow filenames to contain those character I think that lintian
should not be the cause to limit their use.
This file is, however, the only file that contains those ' characters and
removing them makes lintian go over this file without reporting the error so
this is obviously causing the problem.

-Mike

(PS: is an override the correct way to deal with the debhelper problem?)