Re: Lintian warnings/errors

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 05:21:28PM -0800, Michael Stilkerich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as requested in the lintian documentation I e-Mail you before adding
> overrides to my package.
> I get an error and a warning by lintian when checking my package
>
> W: fvwm-crystal source: build-depends-without-arch-dep
>
> As mentioned in the informational text it is indeed a Build-Dependency
> to debhelper (>= 5.0.0) since I use dh_clean in my clean target. I've
> already had this problem with another package. What is the correct way
> to deal with this?
>
> The error is an
> E: fvwm-crystal: shell-script-fails-syntax-check ./usr/share/fvwm-crystal/fvwm/Applications/20~Games/Arcade/~jumpnbump-menu~Jump'N'Bump
>
> As suggested I ran sh -n on that script but it didn't show any errors. This
> might be a lintian problem with the filename since I got lots of other scripts
> (they are actually menu entrys that need to have those awful names) with almost
> the same content that pass the lintian checks just fine. Since I wasn't sure if
> this was really a bug I did not dare to file a bug report ;-)
> FYI, here is the content of the script
> ----
> mikey@dew[fvwm] cat Applications/20~Games/Arcade/~jumpnbump-menu~Jump\'N\'Bump
> #!/bin/sh
>
> exec jumpnbump-menu $@
> ----

If this is the whole script... that really looks like it's rather a
lintian bug. If so please, just file a bug, and do not supply an
override -- overrides are intended to override exceptions to generally
correct checks, this doesn't look like it should need an exception.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl