Re: JPL Planetary Ephemeris DE405

Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Where can I find the text of the NOSA v2.0 ?
>> I was going to suggest
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20150923151504/https://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review/2013-June/000610.html
>> but the attachment containing the text was scrubbed.
>
> Here it is:
>
> NASA OPEN SOURCE AGREEMENT VERSION 2.0
>
> This open source agreement (“Agreement”) defines the rights of use,
> reproduction, modification and redistribution of certain software
> released by the United States Government (“Government”) as represented
> by the Government Agency listed below (“Government Agency”).

Again, as shown here: this license covers *software*, not *data*.

Data is fundamentally different from software: for example, there is no
"source code" for DE405. There is just no "preferred way to edit" for
such a database -- these database are created from observation and not
thought to be edited by hand.

So, it is just wrong to apply software licenses to databases like DE405.

Best

Ole