Re: Is Project Gutenberg License DFSG compatible

On 2017-08-04 00:27 +0800, Shengjing Zhu wrote:

> I find there's not enough mention about The Project Gutenberg
> License[1].

It seems that license fails the DFSG, because § 1.E.8. imposes
restrictions on charging a fee for distribution which contradicts DFSG
§ 1.

> I meet a package that includes a file[2] licensed under it.
> The content of this file is a public domain work, but it's produced by
> project Gutenberg[3]. Should I exclude this file?

Either that, or remove all references to Project Gutenberg from it as
mentioned in § 1.C. of their license.  Sending a patch to upstream which
does the latter would be useful, but until they incorporate it you will
have to repack the upstream tarball.

> [1] http://gutenberg.net/license
> [2] https://github.com/biogo/hts/blob/master/bgzf/testdata/Mark.Twain-Tom.Sawyer.txt
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg