Re: dvbackup package

Herbert Fortes <hpfn@ig.com.br> (2016-07-05):
> I am doing a QA for dvbackup[0]. It is an old package,
> but does not has a repository, so I will copy/paste.
>
> [0] - https://packages.qa.debian.org/d/dvbackup.html
>
> Files: logo.xcf
>        minilogo.ppm
>        minilogo.c
> Copyright: Larry Ewing <lewing@isc.tamu.edu>
> License:
>  Permission to use and/or modify this image is granted provided with
>  acknowledgement of Larry Ewing <lewing@isc.tamu.edu> and The GIMP.
>
> Declared 'use and/or modify' only.
>
> The files do not have an author field or something like
> that. You only know that Gimp was used. It is a Tux logo.
>
> I do not think this is problem because of Gimp and the
> Tux logo, but shouldn't licenses be more clear and declare
> 'free distribution' in an explicit way ?

Ideally, yeah. This can be somewhat inferred from the following quote:

"Feel free to do whatever you see fit with the images, you are
 encouraged to integrate them into other designs that fit your need."

See: http://isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/

See also previous thread on this very list about what “use” can mean
(spoiler alert: it's open to interpretation).

KiBi.