Re: Stale copyright dates

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:07 AM, John Morrissey <jwm@horde.net> wrote:

> I'm packaging the PHP PEAR Crypt_Blowfish library.
>
> The package has two maintainers, one of which seems to have taken over
> active maintenance of the library. The copyright information on upstream's
> source is 2005-2008 by the original (now inactive) author.

Sounds like the new author's changes are not copyrightable, they
didn't want to claim copyright over them or they don't know or care
about adding copyright notices.

> The newer maintainer has made bugfixes to the source without updating the
> copyright information. Do I need to have upstream update the copyright
> notice on these files before packaging this software?

It isn't nessecary. It is a good idea to contact upstream to establish
a relationship for future collaboration when packaging something
though. One of the topics you could bring up in that initial contact
is the copyright information update.

--
bye,
pabs