Re: gpl and hosted apps

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 20:02:20 -0500, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 04:49:31PM -0800, David M.Besonen wrote:
>> in the meanwhile, how would *you* word language in the gplv3 that
>> would cover this loophole (that's what i would call it)?
>
>I'm not sure it's possible to require people running webservers with
>hosted applications to release their source, without causing practical
>problems as a side-effect.  I'm undecided on whether I'd go as far as
>Mark in saying that the goal itself is non-free, but I havn't seen
>an incarnation yet without secondary ill effects.

what ill effects would come of saying that if you host a gpl'd app
(modified or not) you have to make the source available?

i would think that folks who are into copyleft would see hosting an
app as similar offering it for local usage wrt freedom.  i'd love to
hear from any copyleft people in here who are ok with hosted gpl'd
apps and no source access.

btw, i grok why d-legal isn't going to push copyleft.