Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 12:57:57PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> > The vendor then produces a second revision of the hardware. It uses the
> > same driver, but this time the firmware is on an eeprom. By your
> > argument, we are then free to move the driver to main.

> I disbelieve.  It's not the same driver.  This one doesn't have the
> loadable firmware support, and does support operation without first

Sure it does.  Rather than write a completely new driver the vendor
modified the existing driver to do appropriate things for both revisions
of the hardware.  They may even have arranged things so that their newer
hardware has the same firmware download interface, just with a default
image provided on board.