RE: Licensing problems with xscrabble

> I'm inclined to say that we need explicit permission to modify and to
> distribute modified versions. Apart from that, though, what do you think
> about the last clause? Is it equivalent to "... must reproduce the above
> copyright notice ... in the documentation and/or other materials
> provided with the distribution" clause in the modern BSD licence, or is
> it equivalent to the old BSD advertising clause?

indeed this seems like yet another "I want this to be public domain, but still
want credit for it" license.  Like so many other one-off licenses the author
neglects to give complete permission.  Seems he would if asked (and can be
found).

When you talk to him, consider having him use the bsd with advert.  Gives him
what he wants plus the legal indemnity clause.