Re: Keyspan Firmware fun

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> writes:
>The binary doesn't violate the GPL. Only distribution of the binary
>violates the GPL.

	Please reread the following section of my previous message.
Indirect and contributory copyright infringement are different sections
of title 17 of the United States Code.  I understand that this is why
NeXT had to release the source code for the .o's to their objective
C backend (I believe they originally shipped the .o's as separate
files which were then linked to build the compiler, I guess by their
install process).

| 	  You might wonder why am I also concerned about distribution
| of the kernel _sources_.  First of all, I believe that there may be a
|contributory infringement problem with machinations (my word) where
|the end result is the delivery of a work whose distribution is
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|forbidden by copyright.  In the case of the stock kernel, the build
|process does this for the keyspan.o file.  Secondly, I think there may
|be an indirect or contributory infringement issue from distributing
|such kernel sources with the reasonable expectation that many
|recipients will compile and unknowingly illegally copy keyspan.o
|as a result.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."