Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Hello,

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 00:44 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> I would like to install wireless facilities on my old Thinkpad. It has
> a 300 Mhz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 4.1 GB of space on hard disk.
> It used to run on RedHat 7.2, which stayed there for about six years
> without any problem. Since I have been unable to get wireless working
> on it using pcmcia IBM 'EtherJet' card and a router in client mode
> 'FON2200' (the so called Fonera), I installed Debian Sarge instead of
> RedHat 7.2.

Keep in mind that Debian Sarge was discontinued since March 2008 [1].
>From your point of view, this mainly means that it has no security
update.
Debian Sarge[2a], Etch[2b] and Lenny[2c] seems to have the same RAM
requirements. You might want to install XFCE desktop rather that the
default desktop (gnome) as explained in [2c].

Franklin

[1] http://www.debian.org/News/2008/20080229
[2a] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ch03s04.html
[2b] http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch03s04.html