Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03) in etch

Hi!

I am not able to get my soundcard working 100%. Internal speakers are ok, headphones and recording doesn't work. These computers belong to my colleaugues (teachers). They are going to use Audacity to record pupils reading. I have got the mic working, on my own laptop, but the sound is so bad, too much volume, with a metallic sound. And the thing is, I forgot what I did to get it working:-(

If I choose alsa in kaffeine, it crashes.

If someone of you have a tip or two, I would be grateful. Remember when you give your instructions, if any, make it easy. I am not an engineer, just an ordinary teacher with the responsibility for the computers at my school.

My laptop: IBM lenovo R61i

My debian distribution is etch
My kernel is 2.6.18-6-686

My sound car:
Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

lsmod:
snd_hda_intel          18648  1
snd_hda_codec         148480  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm_oss            38944  0
snd_mixer_oss          15616  1 snd_pcm_oss
pcmcia                 34140  0
snd_pcm                69092  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              20676  1 snd_pcm
ipw3945               179972  1
snd 48580 8 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
ieee80211              29480  1 ipw3945
yenta_socket           24460  1
soundcore               9248  1 snd
ieee80211_crypt         5952  1 ieee80211
rsrc_nonstatic         11840  1 yenta_socket
snd_page_alloc          9672  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Br

Embrik K