Re: CPU power management (was: Re: Missing C-States on Core Duo)

Hi,

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007, Eddy Petri??or wrote:

> On a side note, I have found out that FreeBSD is able to bring down the
> processor speed of a Pentium M processor on a laptop of a friend a LOT
> lower than what Linux is able to do (200MHz as opposed to 800MHz in Linux).
>
> I am wondering if the information is correct. I thought of installing
> Debian GNU/kFreeBSD but I failed miserably and I don't know when and if
> I'll try again.

I know these patches. The 200mhz are only shown in the kernel (in my case
linux) but the hardware is not capable of that, look for your self into the
intel datasheets.

But indeed its possible to "undervolt" the cpu to save power, approx. 10-20%,
search for the linux-phc patches.

https://www.dedigentoo.org/trac/linux-phc/

--
Florian Reitmeir