Re: Command Language Reference Book (Website)

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 12:11:14PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Tuesday 2006-12-05 16:39:44 -0800, Baz, wrote:
> > Hello.  Will someone please recommend a reference book (or website) about
> > fundamental to mid-level command language (Unix/Linux/Debian)?  Thanks.
> > Sebastian
> >
> > "...heart and soul....one will burn."
> > - Joy Division
>
> For the bash programming:
> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>
> But consider also to use as shell fish:
> http://fishshell.org/
>
> As a Devian reference consider the debian-reference-<language code>
> package, maybe a too little outdated and:
> http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage

I think the man pages and other docs that came with the system are
the only viable candidates for use as a 'reference' for command
line utilities - anything else is liable to differ in the details
with what you are actually running.

If you want something that is more of a tutorial/overview/introduction,
then I have found  'XXX System Administration Handbook' (where XXX is
Unix or Linux depending on version) by Nemeth et al very useful for
(as the name implies) system administration issues. The Linux version
covers specifics of SuSE, Red Hat and Debian - so is also useful for
comparing the distros or for people using more than one.

The best, most concise overview of Unix that I have come across was the
original article by Richie and Thompson in the Bell Systems Technical
journal - but I don't know where you would find that now.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com