Re: IBM thinkpad 600(how good)

Hello Justin,

I've seen a TP600 and they are not bad, by design.
But every Computer needs enough RAM to be fast,
i'd say 512 MB + for a full Debian Sid Desktop.
It's one good feature of Linux that it's scalable, and I got a
Debian Sid running on a 32 (!) MB Machine. for learning about
the situation. I recommend that every programmer ;) you'll
discover memory leaks very fast.

Still compiling a recent kernel would be much faster
on your PC than on a 600. - You know you can compile
a kernel on a differnt machine ? Just build a .deb package
with make_kpkg (debian). - Upgrading your PC is another
option.

If you have to wait 8 month til a T42p arrives then at this
point a T60 may be nearly the same prize ... why does it last
so long ? Can't somebody in US buy such a machine for
you ? They are cheapest there.