Re: Automatic shutdown?

| apt-cache show sleepd

sleepd didn't recognize harddisc activity when i used it some
year ago, and went into suspend while e.g. compiling...

Most laptops allow idle timeouts to be configured through the BIOS.
I think you know how to access it on your machine.
I'm not completely clear about what happens if Linux takes over,
but i think it should just override the BIOS settings.

I don't know if your dell is rather old and has no ACPI ?
Then you should have apmd (same package name) running.
Maybe you can get things done after a look into /etc/apm, /etc/default/apm,
and the apmd manpage. You need to find out how to trigger hibernate,
though. (suspend/standby used to be done via 'apm -s' or 'apm -S').
If you have ACPI there's acpid with similar but far more advanced
functionality, then you probably should search the list archives for
something like ACPI + shutdown, for example.

Shutting (or better, shooting) down a running system properly may be worth
another thread ... if you just trigger 'shutdown' then unsaved document
content (or whatever data) may get lost. Depends on the application. Dunno.
Hibernation would be on the safe side, anyway.

hth