Re: X using up to 100% of cpu while moving windows

Martin Hauser wrote:
Hello,

[...]

It might be that an upgrade to Xorg broke your hardware acceleration
and now the CPU has to do rendering tasks which were taken care of by
the graphics card earlier. You can check if you have direct rendering
enabled with "glxinfo|grep direct". A number of people have reported
problems with ATI cards and Xorg 6.9 recently (google the archives of
debian-laptop and debian-user), so maybe you will have to downgrade to
Xorg 6.8. If you need more detailed advice you should post your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and the output of

egrep '^\((WW|EE)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Okay, this has put me on the right trail at least, glxinfo is telling
me the following:

mh@phoenix:/data/unsorted% glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

Okay, onwards to errors from the Xorg logfile:

mh@phoenix:/data/unsorted% egrep '^\((WW|EE)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID" does not exist.
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module glcore
(EE) Failed to load module "glcore" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module synaptics
(EE) Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
disabled (WW) RADEON(0): Option "HWCursor" is not used
(EE) No Input driver matching `synaptics'

Below there is my xorg.conf. The strange thing is that it has worked on Xorg 6.9 for a good
while and therefore i can't really understand what suddenly broke it. Maybe the wrong libs
are installed or something like that ?

I had hoped that maybe someone who has an ATI card would react to this
with specific advice. I can only make some general suggestions:

Your xorg.conf seems OK to me (and it worked before). I think the errors
and warnings above are unrelated to the problem. Nevertheless I would
temporarily comment out the glcore module and the synaptics section,
just to have a "cleaner" situation until you find the problem. For some
accelerated video drivers it is specifically recommended to deactivate
glcore, but I don't know if this is the case for your ATI card.

One thing to try is to go back to a more basic configuration and see if
direct rendering works then. For this I would comment out the composite
extension

#Section "Extensions"
#	Option	    "Composite" "true"
#EndSection

and set the default depth to 16

Section "Screen"
 	Identifier "Default Screen"
 	Device     "radeon"
 	Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
 	DefaultDepth     16

Then restart X and see if direct rendering becomes active. If not it
might be worthwhile to play with the "VideoRam" and "AGPMode" options in
the device section, after reading "man radeon".

If all fails you might want to start a new thread with "direct rendering
problem" and the exact model of your graphics card in the subject line.
(People often only scan the subjects and might therefore not have
realized that your problem concerns an ATI card about which they know
something.)

Regards,
           Florian