Re: No /dev/dsp after switch from 2.6.12/hotplug to 2.6.15/udev

Hello everybody,

thank you for discussing my problem.

Here is what I want to achieve: Just listening to music using xmms.

Until some weeks ago I played music via OSS. Then, after I started using KDE seriously, I switch over to arts to avoid the messages due to the blocked sound device. arts is configured to use whatever sound system is available.

I don't have any ALSA packages installed.

Could somebody explain to me what all this sound-system stuff is about?
Does the sound system need to match the driver?
Do sound-device drivers implement a sound system?

Thank you,
Michael