Re: any Libretto 100/110CT users out there?

[RESEND: got lost somewhere?]

Also sprach Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> (Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:49:46
+0000):
> [...]
> What bugs me is that I definately searched through neomagic(4x)
> looking for an option like that, and it isn't mentioned at
> all :-/ Where did you find it?

Here are a few pages for the libretto out there:
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/librettocontent.html
http://f.webring.com/hub?ring=libretto
http://home.hccnet.nl/pr.nienhuis/MDLinux.html#KERNEL
http://www.fixup.net/tips/l100kbd.htm
http://www.synack.net/libretto/#linux_cs

..well, actually most of them are dead by now. :)
However, I suggest to look here at the Libretto Mailinglist if you have
lib-spezific questions: http://www.technoir.nu/libretto/list/

> On your other points:
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 05:19:49PM +0100, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > Also sprach Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> (Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:42:59
> > +0000):
> > > As of 24 hours ago I have just dipped a toe into the debian waters by
> > > attempting my first debian install on an old (but still much  used)
> > > Libretto 110CT, and wondered if there were any other users of such
> > > 'classic' hardware out there...
> >
> > Debian Etch/Sid, 110ct @ 266MHz, 64M, still original 4G Drive. Kernel
> > 2.6.15-ck2. :)
>
> Forgive my Debian ignorance, but what does 'Etch/Sid' refer to?
> And what about the 'ck2'?

You're new to debian? ;-)
 Woody _was_ the second last _stable_ release.
 Sarge _is_ the current _stable_ release.
 Etch _is_ the current _testing_ release (still some work to do, but
                                 will get stable some time).
 Sid _is_ the current* _unstable_ release (more work
                                  do to..).  *and everlasting

Have a look at www.debian.org. It's all there.

> You seem to be on a later kernel - I assume my install gave me the
> latest stable. Have you moved up to a development version?

You shouldn't. Meanwhile I know my System quite well and for some
reasons I keep up with the latest kernelreleases. (It's my job.)

Stay where you are for now and read doc's till you're familiar with
debian. One reason to use packages from Etch or Sid is because these
versions are newer or these in Sarge lack some feature someone might
need/want. If you want a stable system, Sarge is your choice. Etch and
Sid are not unstable, but sometimes there's something you should be
able to fix yourself.

> Your hardware sounds the same as mine, except I have long since
> upgraded the HD. I am installing Debian on my older 20GB drive,
> and if I get it to a point where it does everything I need, I
> might splash out on a 100GB upgrade, which seems to be the sweet
> spot to 2.5" drives at the moment - at least for 5400RPM. If I
> was worried about speed, I would probably have upgraded to a
> faster laptop...

You can't get much throughput over the non-dma ide-interface. The
bigger buffer and shorter seektimes as well as a higher rotationrate
_will_ help, but compared to a modern storage-interface (think of
scsi/sata/pata -- ultradma33/66/...) the ct1x0's one is a piece of
crap. :(

see "man hdparm", google for hdparm. But be careful. The interface
is tuned quite good by the kernel anyway.

> > > I am interested in comparing notes on getting an installation that
> > > supports the integrated hardware as fully as possible...
> >
> > Just a few things that won't work. minimal. Depending on your
> > Kernelversion.
>
> There isn't much left that I havn't had working on the old setup.
> Just the external SVGA, and the FIR. I had the PCMCIA floppy going,
> and the EPR USB interface. PCMCIA LAN/WLAN/SCSI/MODEM/CF all worked fine,
> as did external keyboard, mouse and of course serial.

FIR won't work with 2.6 and ACPI enabled. Boot with kernel parameter
"acpi=off" to use it, but you will loose acpi functionality this way.

Have never needed the external display, also never used the floppy or
the docking station. It's just my mobile everything. And it's really
useable that way. :-)

> For some reason the little HDD activity light only works with
> some drives. I havn't had it working with anything over 20GB,
> even though the drive itself works fine.

I've heard. Search the lib mailing list.

> [...]
> > > So far the sample XF86Config files I have found online have not
> > > worked with the default XFree86 server (4.3.0.1) on Debian, and my
> > > attempts to modify the generated config file, which creates a 800x600
> > > display with the bottom 120 pixels obscured, have not worked. (I
> > > havn't attempted the externel display mode yet).
> >
> > I just use 800x480.
>
> That is all I really want on the LCD. The SVGA output would be nice
> to have for those occasions when one is away from home and able to
> borrow a keyboard, screen and mouse to make the Libretto a bit more
> ergonomic.

Maybe some HOWTO at www.tldp.org will tell you. I'm quite sure there is
one discribing this. Google for X and muliple displays and X and
laptop/mobile.

> [...]
> Thanks. A kernel rebuild is on my list also - but I thought I had better
> make sure I was starting from a stable 'stable' release before I
> experiment with the bleeding-edge.

Jepp, take time with this. Can be tricky. "Never touch a running
system". And the precompiled kernel _is_ ok. I just can't stop
tweaking.. :)

> Thanks again,
> DigbyT

sl ritch