Re: Debian Sarge + madwifi : cannot bring up interface ath0

Hello Andrew,

On 5/31/05, Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 12:52 -0400, Dominique Orban wrote:
> >
> > Regarding the wireless card, I installed the madwifi drivers, loaded
> > the modules, but 'ifup ath0' gives:
> >
> > % ifup ath0
> > Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
>
> Hi Dominique,
>
> Does your ESSID have spaces or other less usual characters in it?

No, it is a simple word made of latin letters only.

> You should be able to issue the commands that ifup does manually, like
> so:
>
> ifconfig ath0 up
> iwconfig ath0 essid "your ss id"
> dhclient ath0
>
> ... and it would seem likely that the problem is occurring in the
> "iwconfig" line :-)

I am thinking the issue is even before that because I can't 'ifconfig ath0 up'.

% ifconfig ath0 up
ath0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

> After the "ifconfig ath0 up" you should be able to scan for reachable
> WLANs as well with "iwlist ath0 scan", and confirm that you can see your
> own one that you expect to see.
>
> Finally, I doubt this is the case, but is it possible that you have MAC
> address restriction enabled on your AP?

Actually it is the case, but I have explicitly enabled this card. I
can use it on the same laptop under (hum) Windows XP and on another
laptop under SuSE linux.

The behavior doesn't appear consistent---sometimes I boot with the
card cold plugged and it is detected. Sometimes not. Is there a way to
restore all the Debian configuration scripts without having to
re-install?

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate. I am very new to
Debian, as you can probably tell.

Dominique