Re: Debian Users...

Russell Coker, 2003-Nov-20 04:14 +1100:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 04:00, Caoilte O'Connor <lists@caoilte.org> wrote:
> > doesn't fam engage in periodic disk access? i certainly get
> > a lot less when not using kde despite having 256M RAM.
>
> I was under the impression that the sole point of FAM was to avoid disk
> access, it should use the kernel dnotify interface for this.  But even if it
> was to repeatedly read a directory this would only cause disk access if you
> didn't use the mount option "noatime" (which every laptop user should use).
>
> I have 384M of RAM and swap still gets used when running KDE.
>
> KDE uses lots of CPU time in many instances, loads big executables from disk
> with lots of shared objects, and uses plenty of memory which causes swapping.
> All these things decrease battery life.  Use text mode if you want to get
> maximum batter life.

I got rid of fam altogether.  I didn't feel it was providing enough
benefit to have it running on my laptop.  KDE is doing just fine
without it.

I have 512MB of RAM and shut down swap.  I got tired of all the
swapping.  This is working very nicely for me.  Even with two VMware
machines running and a few documents open in OpenOffice1.1.0, it still
only uses less than 40% of RAM.

KDE 3.1.4 runs quite fast on my PIII 1.2 Dell Latitude C610 and the
battery time is respectable at a couple hours with one battery in it.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User