Trying to use "ifup wlan0" on PCMCIA card

I have a very low-spec laptop (IBM 340CSE w/ 12MB of RAM) and memory is at
an absolutely premium.  I've installed a custom 2.4.21 kernel and
linux-wlan-ng to use my Prism2 adapter, and it works great - except that
cardmgr uses enough memory that I'm immediately pushed into swap when I
start it.

Now, I can insmod a few things manually ('p80211', 'ds', 'prism2_cs') and
see the card's power and radio lights come on, but when I try to
"ifup wlan0", then wlanctl-ng returns "No such device".

I've tried looking at the source of the various linux-wlan-ng programs, but
I can't figure out what "cardmgr" is doing that I'm missing.  Any pointers?
--
Kirk Strauser