Re: Inspiron 5100

Am Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2003 14:30 schrieb Johanna Friederike May:
> when trying to install debian from dvd there is some failure installing
> cxref - i don't know what it is
generating / tranforming documents from C script input
> means that it doesn't install all the packages selected with taksel like
> xserver, gnome, kde, bash, tex,
You'll need the xserver under all circumstances.
There seem to be no packages depending on cxref (in woody stable),
you can try to first 'dis-select' (t.i. delete) cxref and all tex related
stuff, maybe install it later. btw. install aptitude.
Anyway it's sometimes easier to setup the basic things first, on the first
run, like X and some desktop environment (you may choose either gnome or kde
for the beginning).

> because of being new to debian i tried to check with knoppix as well -
> it works fine except for the fact that it doesn't show me any graphical
> user interface. just the text consoles are working.
Somebody running the same videocard as your 5100 could tell you the setup.
Look up and verify / compare the exact card type (along with your main system
specs like processor, mainboard type, maybe soundcard and other
internal/peripheral devices) from the vendor (or original manual),
SUSE Yast,  linux commandline and maybe a running win xp.

> installation process) but now when i try to boot it the screen just gets
> black and NOTHING happens, not even del-alt-ctrl works (just power off
> works).
Make sure the x-server gets installed. Should be X Free 4.2 or newer.
Next time try del-alt-f1 to see if text-console is working.
If sp it's probably the x-server crashing, and you have to tune
either the 'kernel-commandline' before booting, or change some values in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and maybe in the kernel too ....
(perhaps you can copy stuff from someone's else 5100).

> i don't really know if this problem is laptop related but i believe so
it's a very common issue to laptops ....

> thanks for your help. maybe the debian dvd i have has some failures - it is
...working with checksums. Is dvd reading itself (from the installer) working
ok ? I assume you boot from the dvd.
> if all that stuff could work at all...
With linux on very new hardware, usually some extra work is to be done (e.g.
getting some new patches) - sometimes, you can't get anything running.
Time passing, standard linux comes up & situation relaxes.
Anyway, you could send a note to the vendor (and why not dell as well)  that
you expect to get linux running. Just for their mind...

--

                                    mi <mrl>