disabling APM on-the-fly?

How could I disable APM from entering suspend mode without rebooting?

One reason is that my computer enters suspend mode as soon as I close the
lid. However, if I have selected "shut down" before that, and close the lid
before the power is off, the machine suspends in the middle of shutdown
sequence without ever completely powering off.

I'm using kernel 2.2.x. 2.4.x has APM as module that I could in principle
unload, but I think modularized APM didn't work and the 2.4.x kernel has
many other things that don't work on my computer. So I'd rather stick with
2.2.x.

I'm using Debian Woody on Acer Travelmate 332T.