scroll buttons on a Compaq Presario 2700T

My compaq has scroll buttons right below the two 'mouse buttons'. I've tried
enabling them in X (4.2.0), by adding
     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
and playing with the numbers using 3 & 4 (because there is no third button),
3, 4, 5, & 6 (because there are four buttons), and 4, 5, 6, & 7 (same
reason).

None of it has allowed me to use the scrollers.
Is there some other way to do it? Perhaps by somehow determining the
character sent by the button press and mapping it to that functionality?

Also, is there a tool that can map the left button to middle click? I use
the tap pad to left click exclusively, so being able to bypass the the
emulate 3 buttons requirement would be nice.

Thanks,
Jason