Re: dell 4000

Derek Broughton a écrit, lundi 11 février 2002, à 10:09 :
> From: "Jacques L'helgoualc'h" <lhh@free.fr>
[...]
> > Only *one* `container' is allowed with usual tools as c?fdisk.
>
> Oh - I had never seen such a restriction, but then I hadn't tried to do it
> either.  I'll bow to your expertise .

Ahem, my `expertise' is just experience in breaking things...

[...]
> Well, thanks for that.  I didn't know that either.  And in checking I see
> that I do, indeed, have a type 05 partition.

  sfdisk --id /dev/hda 3 85

should do the trick, as your extended partition is hda3.

>  Annoying to hear  though, since hda5 is the  most important partition
>  on my system after the /boot partition.

My hd[ab]5 are  swap, but it is not sufficient, as  the chain was broken
by  a one-month-try partition  magic. I  had to  do some  arithmetic for
getting back hda[6->14].

I recommend now using sfdisk --dump as backup

,----
|    -l [or --list]:      list partitions of each device
|    -d [or --dump]:      idem, but in a format suitable for later input
`----

HTH
--
Jacques L'helgoualc'h