slow clock on Dell I8k1

Hello *,

on my Dell Inspiron 8100 the clock loses several minutes per hour
--- so much in fact that ntp doesn't work properly. I tried to find
out whether something in my (pretty much standard woody) setup
interferes with the clock, but haven't found anything (in
particular, hwclock --adjust is *not* called.)

Any hints? Also, I have not yet figured out how to make ntpd more
lenient about a bad local clock. If anybody knows from the top of
their head how to get rid of the "synchronization lost" messages, I
would be grateful for a hint.

Thanks,
Hein