Re: ACPI, APM, hassles ...

Am Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2001 13:13 schrieben Sie:
> > In the moment acpi is not that useful like apm. Ok. You can read the
> > battery status etc. in much detail, but trying to suspend will not work
> > as expected. There are some patches to do hibernation and suspend to ram,
> > but these are alpha. There's also a software suspend to disk patch. I
> > tried this, but its not meant to be a "production" candidate.
>
> Hmm, oh yea, passing a suspend event received by acpid to the BIOS is
> probably defying the whole purpose of acpi... what about turning off the
> screen? Is that doable? Oh, and more importantly, turning the machine
> off after a shut down?

If you've applied the patches, you can put the system to sleep with acpid
by assigning the sleep button event an "echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep". This
one will hibernate (hopefully ;-)).
You can do everything you want with this event. So - if there's some program
that switches off your screen via DPMS or whatever, just put it in acpid's
config and it will do so when closing the panel or pressing the suspend
button. Maybe you'll find a nice way to do a "xset dpms force off" from acpid?
Just tell me if you've figured it out ;-)

Normally the machine gets switched off when powering down. Maybe it's not
working on your machine, or try "halt -p" instead of "init 0".

-Cajus