Re: irda

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Tom Allison wrote:
> I'm trying to get my irda working (again) on my A21m Thinkpad.
> I had it working once.
> I booted into Win98 to make sure that the IR port is turned on.
>
> Here's the log (syslog) attached.
>
> Can someone help me figure out where I should look?
> I do have the kernel modules: irda and ircomm in the

these are the modules that are being loaded on my laptop (not a Thinkpad) for
SIR-mode (just FYI)

Module                  Size  Used by
ircomm-tty             19904   1  (autoclean)
ircomm                  7964   0  (autoclean) [ircomm-tty]
irtty                   5600   2  (autoclean)
irda                   86529   1  (autoclean) [ircomm-tty ircomm irtty]

> /lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/net directory.
>
> /etc/modules.conf has:
> alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty
OK

> alias irda0 nsc-ircc
              ^^^^^^^^
are you sure this module is the correct one for your chipset?
usually you need a special module only for FIR-mode (Fast IR)
for SIR it should work without loading this module. (the mode you can
configure in the BIOS). For testing purposes first try with SIR and without
the module, if this works switch to FIR.

[snip]

> Here's the killer.
> When I run irattach -s...  I get a syslog entry that says:

it's better to start the IRDA-subsystem with the command '/etc/init.d/irda
start', so the correct configuration is loaded from irda.conf

wolfgang