Oh, gods...any of them

Hello -

I'm new on the list, although not to Debian nor to
laptops.
However, the latest combination has left me rather
dazed, and I'm wondering if someone might have
some "workarounds".

The good: both Potato and Woody bootdisks (w/
customized kernel) work w/ my HP N5430 (it is a
laptop). The rootdisks also work, and I'm able to
download both the rescue and driver packages from
either release.

The bad: By the time it comes to installing the
base system, dbootstrap collapses. No output, just
a little warning saying it exited with errors.
This happens with both the disks, at exactly the
same point. Frustrating isn't the word.

The customized kernel in question is a souped-up
2.4.2 w/ the augmented tulip_core.c code, (for my
Accton EN2242 chip). The rest of the bootdisk
contents (on both Woody and Potato) are unchanged.

If I can get the base system loaded, things would
probably go quite well, as I've had the
opportunity to look over drivers I'll need and
where to get them. I would, however, really
appreciate any idea as to what exactly is
happening to make dbootstrap choke.

Many thanks in advance -

Alpha