pb w/ apt-setup, cdrom-based install on c1vp (picturebook)

hello,
I'm trying to get debian to run on my vaio c1vp
(picturebook).
I'm using the sony cdrom which is bootable.
I used the parameter "linux ide2=0x180,0x386" when
booting from the cdrom, so that I have the option
"cdrom".
The install goes fine...
I reboot, and I can't provide atp-setup with the
location of my debian packages. although I have the
option cdrom, it doesn't work. I tried to pass to the
kernel the ide2=... information as boot parameter but
I get warnings/errors.
and my HCF modem will not enable me to do PPP.
Anybody with a similar experience?
I'd like to have another option than copy the content
of my cds on my harddrive...
I was recommended to download more recent PCMCIA.
Thanks a lot,
Guillaume