Re: wooky->potato

> "Testing" is improving.  However, since I've noticed some of the same
> problems with conflicting or missing dependencies, I've chosen to install
> "stable," use '=' to have dselect hold all packages, and then upgrade them
> to testing as needed.  So, for example, I go through and install the stable
> release, hold all packages, and then I notice that in order to use Yahoo
> chat, I have to upgrade Everybuddy.  So I tell it to look at the "testing"
> tree, change the status of that one back to normal, dselect then tells me
> what else I would have to upgrade to install the new version of Everybuddy,
> I let it do that much, and everything is fine.

For most purposes it appears to be possible to stay on Potato, but have your
sources lines (deb-src in your /etc/apt/sources.list) point at testing.

That way if you want a part from testing, you build it locally, so it gets
the local libs, unless it's hopelessly entangled with other parts from
Testing, in which case it may not build.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...