Testing: PS/2 Mouse OK - Touchpad No GO

Hi,
I recently dist-upgraded from Potato. Took a while to remove Ximian only
to discover that I still had XServer-SVGA as X. All fixed now.

Despite many attempts I cannot get the Synaptics Touchpad to work. No
matter what I do it behaves as if GPM was running - flies all over the
screen, clicks completely unpredictable. In desperation I plugged in an
external (2 key) mouse and it works just fine. Ironically I plugged it
in as NT4 was shutting down and it worked straight away.

I'm not unhappy about using the external mouse as I have some RSI from
the edge of the laptop case but I would like the choice.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd welcome them.

The laptop is a Gateway 5150 - PII-233 64MB RAM, 4.2GB HDD, Neomagic
256AV (NM2200) 2.5MB video RAM.

TIA,
   Tim Wood