Re: Don't use swap partition for hibernation! (was Re: laptop experiences...)

david.gardner@philips.com writes:

> Whoa!  You won't be able to use the swap partition for this purpose!
> Consider: You are running lots of apps (and hence using lots of
> memory and swap-space), you tell the machine to hibernate and it
> saves it's memory contents _over_the_top_of_the_swap_space_!  This,
> as you can imagine, will cause all sorts of bad things to happen
> when you resume...

I think we're talking about different things. I was talking about
making the kernel very aware of the whole hibernation thing and
tidying up everything in VM before actually going into
hibernation. This, however, would most likely mean that one would have
to have as much swap as physical memory and can't use more VM than
available swap space at the time of hibernation. (This is not unlike
VM under old SunOS, IIRC.)

--
Mikael "MC" Cardell <mc@hack.org>
Temple of the Moby Hack