Re: LCD screens work how?

> This is why the fixed dot-clock makes sense: the display card is always
> outputting 1024x768 - which is also why the hsync and vsync are pretty
> meaningless. (As long as I enter any "valid" modeline, the card will
> work at that resolution, with a dotclock of 65.15, and xvidtune will
> report a refresh rate based on the resolution and that dotclock. The
> modifications that can be made to the mode by xvidtune, have no effect
> whatsoever. All I must do now, is figure out what is the simplest way
> of making a modeline "valid" - i.e. not rejected by the X server, then I
> can probably try any arbitrary resolution. I still want to try 4x3... ;)

If the thing acts like a plug-and-play monitor, then just maybe, read-edid
might work:
	http://web.onetel.net.uk/~elephant/john///programs/linux/index.html

(this is what I reached after redirect when following the link in its docs)

This is a really weird package though; it was only available as source,
and even when that's compiled, you run 'make read-edid' while root (so you
can ask the display) and it will try to cook up some modelines for you.

Hasn't caused me problems, but hasn't worked on every monitor, either.

> I have now realised that the old Pentium120 will then possibly NOT have
> a fixed dotclock, it can likely depend on the scaled resolution, thus
> for 320x200 it will have a dotclock that is necessary to output
> 640x600(?) I will only be able to test this in two and a half weeks'
> time, unless I can squeeze it in on Thursday (maybe). But I can try a
> twisted mode on this laptop...
>
> Hugo van der Merwe

I haven't used really low pixel-res like that on a laptop, so I have no
idea, sorry.

* Heather * star@ many places...