Re: troubles with gtk-config and apt recognition of PCMCIA cdrom

Jeffrey Brownson <jrsb@geology.wisc.edu> writes:

> Hello,
> I'm using 2.2.17 with Potato very recently installed on a NEC P/75 Versa. In
> trying to configure the program Ggradebook
> 0.91(http://Ggradebook.sourceforge.net/) I get a response that the gtk-config
> file is not present and the libraries and headers are also not present. I
> first tried updating to glib1.2.8 and gtk1.2.8 from deb packages, but that
> yielded the same responses. Now, when I tried to compile glib1.2.8 and
> gtk1.2.8 from tarballs, glib was successful and installed a glib-config file,
> while gtk exited on ./configure after not locating my X libraries or include
> files. What can I do to get gtk to compile, in order to get the gtk-config
> file, which in turn is ultimately needed to compile Ggradebook 0.91?

You will need to install the development packages.  They have the same name as
the library packages, with "-dev" appended.  So, for example, if you have
the package libglib1.2, you will need to install libglib1.2-dev.  Same with the
X libraries (install xlib6g-dev).

Hubert