Re: [LCFC] templates://wvdial/{wvdial.templates}

Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Jonathan Nieder (jrnieder@gmail.com):
>>>  WvDial can automatically detect the modem and create its configuration
>>>  file. This detection may cause problems with some computers.
>>
>> s/the modem/a modem/? (two times)

At least in the short description, "a modem" would strike me as
slightly odd ("pick a modem, any modem").  "The modem" implies it's
uniquely identifiable just by being the only one attached to this
computer.  Do we in fact know what wvdial would do if I had multiple
modems installed?

>> It would be nice to be more precise than that, and say "a modem
>> attached by serial port, USB-to-serial adapter, or infrared link, a

You might do that in the long description:
  WvDial can automatically detect a modem attached by serial port,
  USB-to-serial adapter, or infrared link, and create its
  configuration file. This detection may cause problems with some
  computers.
Except that surely it can detect internal ones, too?  And if my modem
*isn't* the kind it can detect then I'd much prefer to learn that from
the package description, not here.

> ...detect modems and create their configuration file...
>
> That would be a generic plural (assuming this concept exists in English).

No, in French it's "one each, therefore singular", but in English it's
normal to make this plural ("the executioner cut off their heads").

>>> Template: wvdial/phone
>>> Type: string
>>>  Please enter the telephone number that should be used to call the Internet
>>>  Service Provider (ISP).
>>
>> One possible answer would be the tech support number.  Maybe
>> s/to call the/to connect to your/?  Or
>
> Thou Shalt Not Use Possessive Articles..:-)
>
> OK, in that case, this is borderline. I don't think anybody reading
> "your ISP" will think that I do own the ISP.

You could even argue for "an".  But s/to call/to connect to/ makes
sense.